Pay with plastic option comes to The switch

Debit, credit purchases to boost culinary revenue

By Joseph Bennett, Staff Writer

As long as The Switch Cafe has been on campus as an extension of the Three Seasons Restaurant, it has been a success.

The Switch is a cash-only student operated cooking kiosk under the culinary arts program that serves affordable hot food and drinks when the main restaurant is closed or crowded.

Beginning next semester, as an answer to many student questions and complaints, The Switch will begin accepting payments other than conventional cash.

Culinary arts department Chairperson Nader Sharkes is looking forward to implementing card transactions.

He said, “Being able to use cards, it could bring 20 percent higher income to The Switch.”

Out of the three food spots on campus, The Switch Cafe is a convenient option for students needing a quick  bite before heading out to their next class. 

Criminal justice major Junior Perez said, “I really despise the whole no card transactions. They are only doing it because they don’t want to get charged.”

The Switch Cafe serves fresh food at reasonable prices and some students don’t mind paying with cash.

Culinary arts major Angliza Johnson said she has been part of the baking program for more than  a year.

She said, “We just deal with the cash only rule and continue going on with our day. On the other hand, business wise, we probably lost a small percentage (of purchases) without cards.”

Johnson said the card transactions are not worth investing in because of the bank charges and needed approval from the district. 

“In order to start card transactions the bank will charge 4 percent all year around. I can’t just order the card device and start today if I wanted to without their confirmation,” she said.

The Switch is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the second floor of the Applied Arts Building.